13 Apple Cider Vinegar Uses
hide this This evidence based content is written by a registered dietitian nutritionist. Scientific references are from trusted sources.
Apple cider vinegar can be used in a number of ways as a supplement, in cooking, and as a natural cleaner. Here are the top 13 uses of apple cider vinegar:
Top 13 Apple Cider Vinegar Uses
- As a weight loss aid. Apple cider vinegar may help you lose weight by decreasing your appetite.
- To improve blood sugar levels. Apple cider vinegar can help improve your blood sugar levels and decrease your risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- To promote healthy digestion. The vinegar may help improve your digestion, allowing you to absorb more nutrients and maintain stable blood sugars.
- To help lower cholesterol levels. Supplementing with apple cider vinegar may help lower your blood cholesterol levels, potentially reducing your heart disease risk.
- To make salad dressing. Vinegar, oil, honey, and seasonings can be combined to make a tasty, healthy salad dressing.
- As a marinade. Vinegar, oil, and seasonings can make a flavorful marinade to help season and tenderize meats.
- As a food preservative. Apple cider vinegar can be used in canning to preserve pickles and other fruits or vegetables.
- To wash produce. Diluted apple cider vinegar can be used to wash fresh produce. It can even kill E. coli bacteria.
- To add flavor to soups and sauces. The vinegar can add brightness and acidity to rich dishes.
- As an ingredient in vegan desserts. Apple cider vinegar is commonly used as a stabilizer in vegan baked goods instead of eggs.
- To treat sore throats. Diluted apple cider vinegar may help to ease throat pain by killing the bacteria causing the sore throat.
- To cook eggs. Adding vinegar to the water you boil eggs in can make your eggs easier to peel and help poached eggs retain their shape.
- As a safe home cleaner. Diluted apple cider vinegar can be used as a safe, natural cleaner because of its antibacterial effects.
- Registered Dietitian Author
SaVanna is a registered dietitian nutritionist and freelance health writer specializing in healthy and functional foods and beverages.